Buyers are often curious to understand the latest rules regarding obtaining a short term rental license. Here is an excerpt of the Town’s regulations updated in April 2021. For a complete understanding, be sure to visit their website by clicking here, or reach out to Jane Yager-Baumrind at 843.884.1229
- All STRs must meet the definition of a residential dwelling unit.
- The maximum number of permits issued each permit year shall not exceed 400.
- STR applications must be submitted each permit year. Applications received from existing STR operators after 31 days of the beginning of the permit year will be subject to a $100 late fee (i.e., the permit year begins July 1st, so any application received after July 31st would require the late fee). Applications received for a STR that was illegally operating the prior permit year must pay a penalty fee of $500 in addition to the non-refundable permit application fee.
- A photo showing the required off-street parking for each rental dwelling. A site plan is no longer needed.
- A copy of the neighborhood covenants and restrictions if requested.
- The permit year begins July 1, 2021 through December 31, 2022 (18 months). Each permit year after December 31, 2022 will run 12 months beginning each January 1st.