Originally a simple plank and barrel footbridge and later replaced as a trolley bridge, the Pitt Street Bridge is one of the neighborhood’s most prized amenities. Currently known as the Pickett Bridge Recreation Area, this special place features a fishing pier, lovely greenway, paved pathway, park benches, and spectacular harbor views! Insider tip: This is the spot to watch fireworks on July 4th!
Before the Revolutionary War, a plank bridge built on barrels was constructed across the inlet separating Mount Pleasant from Sullivan’s Island. In 1864, the H.L. Hunley crew crossed the footbridge on the way to Breach Inlet to test dive the submarine. A trolley bridge spanned the cove in 1898 and was replaced by a vehicle bridge in 1927 known as Pitt Street Bridge.