I am often asked what upgrades are worthy investments to prep a home for sale. We all know the easy answers….
- Interior paint
- Minor kitchen and bathroom updates
But experience (and tons of research) has taught me a few tricks that I am happy to share. Remember, the goal is to make the home visually appealing to a wide range of buyers! So for what it’s worth, here are my top picks of upgrades that should be considered when it comes time to sell….
- Front yard landscaping, new pine straw/ mulch, potted plants for color, and landscape lighting (be sure to get an evening shot for your marketing). Remember that curb appeal is key!
- Consider a new high-quality front door, something special! Especially in a neighborhood where homes look similar. Be sure to make your home pop!
- New garage door! If needed, this can be a large focal point and by adding a new garage door, you can change the whole look of your home!
- New roof, if needed. Insurance companies are asking and could base the buyer’s insurance rates according to the roof’s age. If your roof is in need of repair, investing in a new roof will go along way to help secure a buyer and prevent any headaches with your buyer securing insurance.
- Back yard WOW spots! This could be a new brick lined patio, fire pit, garden or paved courtyard with water feature and up-lighting Just remember that folks in Charleston actually use their outdoor living space year round, so use this space to create something usable and enchanting!
- Large living room rug! It’s all about scale, and by placing a large, comfy rug in the main living area, you will send a big, welcoming message to your buyers! And since the living room is likely the first room the buyers will see, here is your chance to make a bold statement!
- Green Features! Buyers love homes with tankless hot water heaters, high efficiency windows, etc. If it’s time to update any of your mechanical componants, be sure to consider going the extra mile with newer products that are environmentally friendly and energy efficient.
- Golf Cart! If you live in a walkable community where golf carts are allowed, a buyer LOVES to see a golf cart included in the sale. Remember, you are selling more than a home, you are selling a lifestyle and your buyer will love it!
If you are considering buying or selling, I specialize in this market and I am happy to provide you with a personalized plan for success! Feel free to contact me at Jackie@TheCassinaGroup.com and to see homes for sale in the Old Village/ Old Mt. Pleasant, visit my website at SearchOldVillage.com.